Posts tagged: wool applique

Jan 04 2016

Design Wall Monday 01-04-16

This is the first Design Wall Monday of 2016, but before I start on that I want to do a quick recap of last year.  I only had a few 2015 quilting goals.

  1.  Use more than 125 yards of fabric – The total was 116.25 yards used in 23 quilt tops.  It is my highest used since I started tracking, but I did fall short of my goal.
  2.   Machine quilt 16 tops – I finished 22 quilts, so this one exceeded expectations.
  3.   No UFOs – My definition of UFO is a project started, boxed up and packed away.  The blocks for three projects that are pinned to my design wall do not count since they weren’t packed away.  All three of these quilts are on my list for 2016.
  4.   Track fabric purchases – I threw this goal out the window the first quarter of 2015.  I discovered that I really don’t care and it diminishes the pleasure of buying new fabric.

I am going a different route for my quilting goals this year – a list of quilts to make, UFOs to finish and techniques to try.  It is an ambitious list of 35 items – I don’t expect to get them all done, but the list helps me focus and keep organized.  Besides it is so much fun to cross an item off of the list.

So after all of that, here is my current leader & ender project on my design wall.

010416   (984x1024)

This quilt doesn’t have a name – maybe Dancing 4 Patches – or a pattern because I made it up as I went along.  Each block contains a combination of 4 patches (3 1/2″), bulls-eye patches and 3 1/2″ squares.

010416A (1024x944)   My current hand work project is finishing up this wool applique UFO.

010416B  (730x1024)

As you may suspect, my wall hanging is a bit different from the pattern.

010416C   (876x1024)

I found a different saying for the bottom border and a wonderful daughter stitched it for me on her embroidery machine.  I also decided to put some smaller wool applique flowers around the border although the stems and leaves will be embroidered on by hand.  This project became a UFO until I could make a decision about the borders.  Most of my UFO projects are waiting on a decision or two, so I need to get busy and finish them up.

The new technique for 2016 is learning to hand quilt, so I need to make a small sampler quilt for practice.

Check out everyone’s 2016 quilting goals at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.


Aug 15 2015

Stars and More Stars

The first star quilt top is finished and has a name.  The name of the pattern is Pretty in Pink, so I named mine Pretty in Everything BUT Pink.  This is going to be a great baby quilt.

081515 (804x1024)The finished size is 46″ x 62″ which I found strange since the directions said that the top would measure 46″ x 54″.  That is when I discovered that I had added an extra half star to each column.  Oh well, I am not going to chop off the extra half star now.

The next star pattern is Star of Yesterday.  It is a flannel star background with wool flower appliqued on.

081515B (1024x735)The pattern shows lots of bright flannel fabric which makes me think of summer, however the wool pieces from the kit says autumn so that was the theme I went with picking out the flannel fabric.  Also I think that the different colored background takes away from the star shape, so I used one color for the background around the it.

081515A  (1020x1024)I also used the same fabric in the same position in the long rail fence blocks framing the star.  I like the look of some order amide all the scraps.  The next part is to start prepping the wool flower applique pieces.

My cutting table has also gotten a bit out of control, so I need to get that organized before I start the next project.  Wonder which star pattern will float to the top?


Jul 22 2014

Wool Applique

One of my goals this year was to try wool applique and this cute little kit from Primitive Gatherings seemed like a good beginner project.

072014   (768x1024)Four little wool flowers stitched to a cotton background next to bowtie blocks.  I used two strands of DMC floss for the wool stitching, although for the next project I think I will try one strand.

072014B  (761x1024)As you can see in the photo, I am using applique pins to hold the pieces in place.  I stitched a sample wool flower using fusible web, but I didn’t like the feel of the needle going through the web.  It is so smooth just stitching through the wool which I like better.

Of course I laid the bowtie blocks out in a different pattern.

072014A  (985x1024)The finished wallhanging will be 27″ x 28″.  I enjoyed the hand stitching and  can see some more wool applique projects in my future.  But once this top is together I need to get back to my hexies.