Posts tagged: Valentine’s Morning Star

Oct 01 2017

Valentine’s Morning Star

I managed to finish September with a finish – Valentine’s Morning Star.   The pattern is found in Magic Stack-n-Whack by Bethany Reynolds.  This quilt top has always been a favorite of mine, but I lacked confidence in my machine quilting skills to make it a completed quilt.  I am pleased with the final result and so happy that I (finally) just did it.

Marlene

Sep 16 2017

Oriental Bento Box

Oriental Bento Box was completed last weekend, just before I started working again.  Hopefully this coming up week I will be able to get into more of a schedule and find some time to quilt.  Anyway – Oriental Bento Box measures 50 1/2″ square and is the 18th quilt finish for the year.  It is machine quilted with free-form Baptist Fans with the gold fabric as the binding.

Today I plan to start the machine quilting on this quilt –

I found a design I like for the diamonds in Angela Walter’s book Shape by Shape.  This one has been waiting way to long to become a finished quilt.

Marlene

Aug 14 2017

Design Walls Monday 08-14-17

In the last couple of weeks I have finished – or almost finished – several projects, so it was time to put a couple of UFOs on my design walls.

These bears had been fussy cut maybe 8 or 10 years ago, but now they have come out to play.  I wasn’t sure how I wanted to set them, but now that they have been on the design wall for several days I am starting to get some ideas.

This quilt sandwich (44″ x 44″) is hanging on my other small design wall awaiting machine quilting inspiration.  The top was sewn in 2009, so I think it is time to be finished.

Wild Child is my current leader/ender project and I am making good progress on the remaining 39 blue blocks.

A new project is displayed on the medium large design wall.

The block is comprised of quarter log cabin units, although I have seen a pattern named Bento Box for this shape.  In the UFO bin I found 12 large blocks and 4 smaller blocks along with extra fabric.  I was experimenting with same blocks in different sizes, but was unhappy with my layout so it was packed up.  The plan now is to find some fabric for sashing to liven up the blocks and come up with a layout setting.

Now it is time to finish up the Lincoln quilt.  For some reason I thought that I had 4 more blocks to make, but I discovered that I only need 3.  Yeah!  I started on the dark green checkerboards this last weekend.

I decided to sew the checkerboard units for the 3 remaining blocks, then sew the stars to complete each block.  It will be great to get this top completed, although there is still a lot of piecing left to do.

Most of my UFOs are because I couldn’t make a decision – fabric, layout, colors, whatever, but I have discovered that it helps a lot to have a project in my face on a design wall day after day.  It pushes me to explore ideas, look for fabric or check out inspiration online or in a quilt book to get the quilt top finished.

Check out other quilting news at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene