This is the tale of Recycled Shirts and the Five Quilt Patterns. Yes – five and I have a plan.
First up is Foothills Quilt by Mary Elizabeth Kinch. The Foothills Quilt is based on an antique quilt from the collection of University of Alberta Museums. Mary hosted a quilt-along earlier this year and I decided that it would look great in recycled shirts. So the first strip width cut is the size for the four HST for the Foothills Quilt blocks.
Pattern #2 is Periscope by Quilted Twins and can be found in their free patterns section. Since Periscope measures 100″ x 100″, I decided to resize the blocks from 12″ finished to 9″ finished to make a smaller quilt. Periscope is comprised of three different blocks – one of which is Churn Dash. So the second strip width cut from the recycled shirts is for the four HST & five solid squares that make a Churn Dash block.
Can you see the light fabric in the block on the right? On the lookout for a light colored shirt that was not stripes or plaids, I totally scored with the lighthouses on this shirt.
The last three patterns are all from Bonnie Hunter’s books. Pattern #3 is Tumelo Trail (Scraps & Shirttails II) and the 4 HST for each block are cut from the same strip width as the Churn Dash block above.
Swing Your Partner (Scraps & Shirttails) also requires 12 HST, 2 light and 2 dark squares cut from the same strip width – isn’t it great that so many block units come from the same strip width?
The 4-patches are cut from a smaller strip width along with the HST & squares for the center of Moth in the Window below.The final pattern is Moth in the Window (Addicted to Scraps) which uses the same strip width as above for the center and the smallest strip width for the block frame.
On Friday I pick out a dark & light shirt fabric for the next round of blocks, so in a couple of hours I have units and/or blocks for all five projects. I anticipate that Swing Your Partner will be the first completed quilt top with Periscope a close second.
The good part of my plan is that I feel that it makes efficient use of my cutting/sewing time while the bad part is that I have already identified two more quilt patterns for future recycled shirt projects.
I finished block A-6 for Sylvia’s Bridal Sampler. Now the top row is completed and I am officially 34% finished.
Check out all the other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.