Posts tagged: String Blocks

Oct 24 2016

Design Wall Monday 10-24-16

All the details on the appliques along with part of the cornerstones/sashing units were completed on Friday, so Saturday morning started out with Happy Halloween looking like this on my design wall.

102416-860x1024

Once the details were added, Mr Mummy moved to the top of my list of favorites.  Of course he will look even better once his eyes are sewn on which will happen after the machine quilting.

102416a-940x1024

By Sunday afternoon I had a completed quilt top (56 1/2″ x 66 1/2″) – YEAH!

102416b-896x1024

I had serious thoughts about replacing the outer border with something brighter and Halloweenish, however I  eventually decided to use the fabric provided in the kit.  The focus needs to be on the characters in the center of the quilt and I didn’t want anything distracting from that.

So the top was finished in time for Halloween – maybe I will have it machine quilted in time for Halloween 2017.

After all this applique, I am ready for some machine piecing and a red Lincoln block is next on the list.  However last week I did manage to finish up all the string blocks needed for another quilt.

102416c-1024x627 These strings will be for Bonnie Hunter’s Daylilies except I will use Dresden Plates and a 3 x 3 setting.  Right now I making 80 – 4 1/2″ string blocks for Wild Child.  I like the idea of having all these parts ready to put together in a quilt.

Check out all the other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene

Oct 17 2016

Design Wall Monday 10-17-16

Even though it was a busy weekend, I managed to make more progress on my Happy Halloween quilt than I thought I would.

101716-823x1024

All of the button hole stitching on the appliques was completed on Saturday and on Sunday I added the details on five blocks.  It really adds a lot of personality to each character.

101716b-1003x1024

I can’t decide if the bat is insane or just drunk.

101716a-807x1024

It is not my fault – and I wasn’t drunk – but it was difficult to see the guidelines from the pattern through the black even with a light box.  Hopefully I will have all the details finished by the end of the week.

There was also some sewing on string blocks.  I finished 32 of the 5 1/2″ string blocks, cut them on the diagonal and depapered them.

101716c-1024x683

These will be used in Bonnie Hunter’s pattern Charlotte’s Baskets, although I think that I will be substituting a different 6″ block for the baskets.  I am considering the churn dash block or maybe a star block.  Whatever –  the quilt should come together quickly since all the string triangles are ready.

I am still in the mood to play with strings, so I started in on 6 1/2″ blocks.

101716d-1024x683

Right now I am thinking of using these in Bonnie Hunter’s Daylilies pattern.  The Daylily block in her pattern measures 14″ square, but I plan on using a 12″ Dresden Plate block and a 3 x 4 setting.  This will be like the quilt Broken Dresden Plates I made in 2012.  There are still a bunch of the Dresden Plates that were gifted to me that need a home.

I am also working on a very special handwork project in the evenings.  While on vacation in England, my daughter bought me this cross stitch project as a belated birthday gift.

101716e-1024x683

We found it in Salisbury which is the town by Stonehenge.  Once finished it will be another wonderful reminder of the great time we had on our trip.  I think that I have enough projects to keep me out of trouble for a little while.

Check out all the other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene

Oct 14 2016

Friday Update

101416-843x1024

Happy Halloween is coming along – the buttonhole stitching has been completed on seven blocks.  I thought I had all the thread colors needed to do the stitching, but discovered that I didn’t.  The thread (Superior Threads Kimono Silk) came in the mail today, so the plan is to finish all the blocks by Sunday evening.  The next steps will be adding all the details to the faces, cutting the blocks to the correct size and adding sashing & cornerstones.

I set up the Juki to sew some string blocks in between working on the applique.  My string bin was full, but I know that it won’t look any emptier when I finish with the string blocks.

101416a-1006x1024

After looking through Bonnie Hunter’s String Fling book, I decided on two sizes – 5 1/2″ anything goes blocks and 5″ one-color blocks.

101416b-1024x683

Right now I am thinking of using the 5 1/2″ blocks for Charlotte’s Basket and the 5″ block for Zuckerwatte, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

Marlene