Posts tagged: Stonehenge

Dec 08 2016

Baskets, Strings and Handwork

It seemed like a good time for an update of my in-process projects.  The baskets for Charlotte’s Baskets are my current leader/ender project.  The quilt top has 16 basket blocks and the first row of 4 is completed.

120816-1024x338

It is so nice to have the string triangles already done and just waiting to be sewn on the block.  And speaking of strings, I am officially finished with them – for now.

120816a-1024x683

Can you see how empty the string bin is?  It was getting harder and harder to get the lid on before I started all these blocks, but now the bin is 1/3 full.  I used the shortest pieces to sew on a 2 1/2″ paper.  These strips probably will become a scrappy border for a future quilt top.

The first handwork project is a cute wallhanging from Primitive Gatherings called Winter Diamonds.

120816b-1024x683

The diamonds in the background are EPP and after the top is together a small wool snowman is stitched in the lower right corner.  Of course I decided to do something different.  The diamonds in the pattern are arranged in a random matter and I wanted mine to go from light in the center to dark edges.  All the diamonds are stitched to the paper so that I could see if this plan would work – so far so good.  I am hoping to get this done by the end of the year.

The second handwork project is the cross stitch of Stonehenge.  I have made some good progress on it although Winter Diamonds demanded my attention for the last several days.

120816c1024x683

The stones are going to take awhile since it is stitch 5, change thread, stitch 7, change thread – you get the idea.  I really like this project and it is going to look wonderful once it is done.

I was able to make some progress on the Rocky Mountain Bear Claw today, but I don’t have a picture.  The goal is to have four of the blocks together by this weekend, so that I have something to show.

Marlene

Oct 17 2016

Design Wall Monday 10-17-16

Even though it was a busy weekend, I managed to make more progress on my Happy Halloween quilt than I thought I would.

101716-823x1024

All of the button hole stitching on the appliques was completed on Saturday and on Sunday I added the details on five blocks.  It really adds a lot of personality to each character.

101716b-1003x1024

I can’t decide if the bat is insane or just drunk.

101716a-807x1024

It is not my fault – and I wasn’t drunk – but it was difficult to see the guidelines from the pattern through the black even with a light box.  Hopefully I will have all the details finished by the end of the week.

There was also some sewing on string blocks.  I finished 32 of the 5 1/2″ string blocks, cut them on the diagonal and depapered them.

101716c-1024x683

These will be used in Bonnie Hunter’s pattern Charlotte’s Baskets, although I think that I will be substituting a different 6″ block for the baskets.  I am considering the churn dash block or maybe a star block.  Whatever –  the quilt should come together quickly since all the string triangles are ready.

I am still in the mood to play with strings, so I started in on 6 1/2″ blocks.

101716d-1024x683

Right now I am thinking of using these in Bonnie Hunter’s Daylilies pattern.  The Daylily block in her pattern measures 14″ square, but I plan on using a 12″ Dresden Plate block and a 3 x 4 setting.  This will be like the quilt Broken Dresden Plates I made in 2012.  There are still a bunch of the Dresden Plates that were gifted to me that need a home.

I am also working on a very special handwork project in the evenings.  While on vacation in England, my daughter bought me this cross stitch project as a belated birthday gift.

101716e-1024x683

We found it in Salisbury which is the town by Stonehenge.  Once finished it will be another wonderful reminder of the great time we had on our trip.  I think that I have enough projects to keep me out of trouble for a little while.

Check out all the other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene