The Serengheti wall hanging is finished – the 18th for the year.
Since the center block measures 17″, it would be fun to make 9 or 12 of them for a larger quilt. Just an idea pinging around in my head, but not for right now – I need to stay focused on my list of star patterns instead.
Speaking of star patterns, this will be the next star project.
The finished quilt size is listed as 70″ x 71″, but I would like it a bit longer for a twin sized quilt. It may be a bit hard to see in the photo, but the top & bottom rows of stars have the points missing which I find a very strange design decision. It will be really easy to add one more row to include the star tips and it will add about another 10″.
This quilt is going to be easy – cut out all the triangles for the stars & background, sew the triangles together in rows and then sew the rows together along with the border. I am using blue & gray snowflake fat quarters for the stars with a white batik with very pale blue snowflakes as the background and a light gray for the border.
The triangles for each star are cut from 5 1/4″ strips, so each star is huge – before seams each star measures 21″ from point to point.
I have also started a new leader/ender project – tumblers. The quilt that was the leader/ender project is the cover quilt Thirty Something from the June 2015 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting magazine. I have been sewing 4 patches from 1 1/2″ squares which have become rather boring. Also I need to do a count to see where I am with them so that is two good reasons to set it aside for the moment.
The tumbler die for my Accuquilt Studio had never been used and 3 1/2″ tumblers are fun quick sewing – tumblers it is. In a little under an hour I had all these cut out. Actually there were more than this because the first row is already completed. I wanted to know how many tumblers to put in each row & how many rows to make a twin sized quilt. The answer is 35 tumblers and 35 rows.
Check out all the other quilting news at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.