Posts tagged: Seahorse in Seaweed

Feb 02 2017

Seahorse in Seaweed

Seahorse in Seaweed is my fourth quilt finish for 2017.  That was a fun sentence to write!

This was a fun project to quilt, but I am glad that it is finished.  Before I start on the next machine quilting project, I would like to get the pieced borders on New York Beauty.  There were some difficulties yesterday, but today everything is going better.  More on that once the borders are done.

Marlene

Jan 30 2017

Design Wall Monday 01-30-17

Although machine quilting is taking most of my sewing time, I did manage to get the first border on New York Beauty yesterday.  I think that the borders will jazz up this quilt.

Next is a pieced middle border of triangles, then an outer border of a coordinating fabric.  I hope to start sewing them on Wednesday.

Last week I was busy machine quilting the Butterfly quilt.  It is now completed and I am stitching down the binding in the evenings.  The Butterfly quilt top was made in 2012 and is more than ready to be a finished quilt.

Today was spent machine quilting the Seahorse in Seaweed top.  Since I took this picture, I have finished the quilting and stitched the binding.  Tomorrow is Presleyday, so I think I should have some time to do handwork.

I can tell that my machine quilting is getting smoother with each top I do.  Here is a crate of quilt tops that I want to get quilted this year.  Confession time – this isn’t all the quilt tops that I have, just a nice pile to meet my goal of 25 finished quilts this year.

I am on a roll right now with the machine quilting, but it doesn’t help that I keep finding quilts on the Internet that I want to make.  However I am resisting the impulse to start a new piecing project.

Check out all the other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene

Jan 23 2017

Design Wall Monday 01-23-17

The blocks for New York Beauty is on my design wall today.  This is another top that is pieced with a Paula Nadelstern fabric line.

Here is the pattern picture.

The blocks don’t look like much now, but I am thinking (hoping) that they will perk up when the borders are added.

Yesterday I also pulled out a top for machine quilting.  The name of the pattern for this top is Seahorse in Seaweed by Elizabeth L0nnquist and finishes at 24′ x 30″.

This quilt top was made sometime before 2008, so I think that it is really time for it to become a finished quilt.  I wanted the top to be a bit bigger, so I added an inner border on the top/bottom/right side to reflect the inner border around the seahorse and then an outer border.

Now the top measures 34″ x 41″ – not huge, but still a nice size for a baby or toddler.  And the best part is that it there will be no need to piece a backing!

Check out all the other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene