Wow – another quilt finished. This one is Scrappy Something and another top machine quilted over the Thanksgiving weekend.
I quilted Scrappy Something with green thread to match the background with a free-form Baptist Fan for the quilting motif. The reason this quilt was finished so quickly is because I machine stitched the binding using Suzanne Hyland’s Sew Precise Sew Fast Machine Binding technique. It is a great binding for charity and kid’s quilts – anything that will get a lot of love.
Merry Christmas Eve,
Yeah! The Scrappy Something quilt top is completed.
It was a bit of a chore to finish up this top, but I stuck with it and now it is done – for now. I will worry about the quilting at a later date.
Next up are some smaller projects – a couple of pillowcases to go with my Tumbler quilt and Mini-Lotus by Jaybird Quilts. I have also decided on Bluegrass Frogs from Quiltmaker Sep/Oct 2005 as my next leader/ender project. I am not sure if it technically qualifies as a UFO since the project box just contains fabric and the pattern, but this quilt has waited long enough.
I also plan to machine quilt another top, then resume working on a star quilt.
The Scrappy Something quilt top is half finished, but check out all those little scraps that have found a home.
There are a two main reasons that I decided to make this quilt – it is a great leader/ender project and it uses a bunch of 1 1/2″ squares and 1 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ rectangles. I think that this is going to be a great charity quilt.
The second half of the top will go a bit slower since I discovered that I need more 16-patch blocks.
Check out what everyone else is working on at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.
The focus this last week has been on the Tumbler quilt – and it is finished. The quilting was completed on Wednesday, Thursday I trimmed and sewed on the binding, and by noon on Sunday the hand stitching was done. This is the largest quilt that I have machine quilted myself and I am so happy to have a new winter bed quilt.
The picture is taken from the upstairs looking down into the living room. It was the only place to lay it out for a photo shoot.
And since I had so much fun with the backing, here is a picture of it. I am very pleased with the end result.
During the breaks from the hand-stitching, I pulled out this small wallhanging (17″ x 23 1/2″) and stitched in the ditch.
This little quilt was pieced in 2013 and the name of the pattern is Oh My Stars. Once the sleeve and binding are completed, this will be my 21st finish for the year.
Oh yeah – this is a design wall post! I decided to take a break from the star quilts and finish the leader/ender quilt top. The pattern is Thirty Something from the June 2015 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting although my quilt’s name will be Scrappy Something since I didn’t use 30’s fabric. The reason that this project was temporarily pushed aside was because I need to do a count to see exactly where I was.
This is the top row and part of the second row. I have been busy cutting out the triangles need for the blocks in the second row, so then it should go together quickly.
Check out Judy’s Design Wall Monday for more quilting inspiration.