Posts tagged: Ripples

Aug 15 2017

Ripples

The last stitch was taken and now Ripples is a finished quilt.  I like the bright colors and how the pattern shows off the fun fabrics.

Ripples measures 65″ x 78″ and is my 17th completed quilt for the year – only 8 more to go to meet my goal.

Marlene

Jul 24 2017

Design Wall Monday 07-24-17

I have started the quilt-as-you-go stitch and flip of the Ripples quilt.  It takes around 15 minutes to get each column pinned to the quilt sandwich making sure that everything lines up and about 5 minutes to sew.  Thank goodness for knee pads!  The goal is 3 – 5 columns added a day since after I crawl around on my knees for an hour I am ready for a break.

The Bernina has been threaded with black silk thread and set up for the buttonhole stitch for the Honey Bee blocks.  This is the first block with the applique sewn down.  I like the spacing given to the quilt by the alternate block.

Since the Bernina was set up for applique, I pulled out the Mini-Wolf wallhanging and have been working on it also.

The directions for this project said to stitch down the wolf applique on a quilt sandwich as part of the machine quilting.  I did it this time, but this isn’t a technique that I will use often – if ever again.  Although it does add a bit of dimension to the wolf, I don’t care for the look of the buttonhole stitch on the back of the quilt.

In the evenings there has been some progress made on the wool applique project Pocket Full of Posies.  I am almost finished with the second cornerstone flower.

As you can see instead of green/red flying geese, I used rail fence units.  There will be a big departure from the pattern on Part 4.  I will be adding a border to the top and bottom only to make a rectangle instead of a square.  Then a small outer border, machine quilting, binding and done.  Pocket Full of Posies will look great on the hanger in my dining room.

The remaining 80 blue HST have been cut for Wild Child, but not sewn.

Next will be a decision on the neutral HST – one fabric or scrappy?  Right now I am leaning towards the idea of a single fabric, but that will be a decision for another day.

Check out all the other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene

Jul 08 2017

Progress Report

It is slow going, but I am making progress on the machine quilting for the Long Time Gone quilt.  I am using monofilament thread in a meander design since I want the fabrics and piecing to be the star of the show.

I went with a wide backing from Connecting Threads to offset all the seams in the quilt top.  Hopefully I will have this finished in the next 3 – 4 days.

When I need a break from the machine quilting, I sew columns together on the Ripples quilt.  I think that there are only ten more to piece.

Last week I also cut all the left over jelly roll strips from Ripples into 2 1/2″ squares along with the background fabric.  There was enough fabric to make 29 9-patches.  What the heck kind of layout uses 29 blocks – maybe on point?  So anyway I went through my Kona solids bin and cut 5 more squares for 30 blocks.  The plan is to make Honey Bee blocks in a 5 x 6 layout.

I also started a new wool applique project for evening sewing.  It is the Primitive Gatherings 10th Anniversary Stitch – Along from (I believe) 2013.  I really need to come up with a new name for this project.

The pattern has 6 parts and the top finishes at 36 1/2″ square.  I plan to make some design changes to the pattern with the first one being the size.  My wallhanging will be somewhere between 18″ to 20″ wide and 22″ to 24″ long so that it will fit on the hanger in the dining room.  I am still considering what other changes I will make, but I don’t need to make a final decision yet.

Well the Long Time Gone  will not quilt itself, so I had better get back to it.

Have a good weekend,

Marlene

 

Jun 19 2017

Design Wall Monday 06-19-17

Well I don’t think that you would be interested in seeing a picture of the jeans I mended yesterday, so how about this?

I took a little bit of a break from Long Time Gone last week and cut the units for Ripples.  There are three rectangles and one square from each jelly roll strip.  I have them clipped together to keep everything organized until the background is added.  Isn’t this going to be a fun quilt?

The directions for the throw size call for a 48 strip jelly roll, but the one I used only had 40 strips.  Since the extra 8 fabric strips were for the half blocks top & bottom, I decided to use a light gray.

Over the weekend all the background strips were cut and pinned in columns.

The quilt is all squares & rectangles, so it is a very easy quilt.  The hardest – well, not hard, but time consuming – part is making sure that the layout is correct.

Everything is nice and organized for piecing the units in each column together.  I plan to use the same quilt-as-you-go method as I used on Rainbow Braids.

This design wall is on a short angled hallway wall.  I use small command hooks with a metal hook for utensils, bulldog clips and a piece of flannel for my design walls.

The command hooks are placed 7″ – 9″ apart along the ceiling edge.  This is also a great way to hang quilts without doing any damage to the walls.  It is also easy to slip the bulldog clips off the hooks, fold up the flannel along with quilt pieces and attach another flannel for a different quilt.

My largest design wall was constructed the same way using a flat flannel sheet from a twin bed set.  I cut down the fitted sheet to size for the newest design wall.

Check out all the other quilt inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene