I managed to squeak in a few finishes in May. The first finish is the Oriental Twinkle Star quilt top (57″ x 57″).
All the fabric came from my stash except for a couple of dark blue batiks. There are actually three different background fabrics in the top, but I think it all blends together nicely. I will be using the black & white stripe for the binding.
The second finish is Meteor Shower.
This top (72 1/2″ x 88 1/2″) is larger than my design wall, so it was difficult to get a good picture. The diagram for the top shows two opposite corners mitered and the other two with butted borders. I don’t remember if this was how Pepper Cory designed the quilt or she was just showing different options. Either way I decided to go with the mitered corners.
Meteor Showers is not one of my favorite quilts, but I am happy to have moved this from an UFO into a quilt top.
I have also been busy working on the wool owl ornaments.
Only one more to go, then this project will be completed. Tomorrow I start on the green Lincoln block.
Thursday and Friday were the only two sewing days I had last week which makes it hard to finish the goals for May. The Oriental Twinkle Star quilt top will be finished first, then if I have time I will work on Meteor Shower. Regardless of progress or lack of progress, Tuesday is the day I will start on two Lincoln blocks – green for May and whatever color is for June. It is so hard for me to push a project aside, do one block then go back to the first project. Each Lincoln block is like a mini-quilt, so I plan them in between finishing other projects.
Here is a picture of my design wall from Monday showing the state of Oriental Twinkle Star. And yes – on top are the four blocks from the Happy Halloween quilt!
One of the reasons that the Twinkle Star blocks have been sitting on my design wall for months is because I have a like-hate relationship with them. When I first started the blocks I liked them and later it was “what was I thinking?” and then back to “this is looking better”. There is a lot of piecing for the sashing and borders, but I am determined to get it finished.
After working steadily Thursday and Friday, the top center is together along with top & bottom inner borders.
There are several things I like about this quilt. I like the star blocks, the stars in the sashing, the stripe sashing fabric and the sharp contrast of blue/black and white. The part I am still undecided about is the background fabric – is it too busy or interesting? Well, one way or another this will be a completed block today.
Happy Memorial Weekend,
The basket wallhanging is finished and measures 38″ x 38″.
I stitched in the ditch in the center and the pieced borders, then quilted a flower motif in the setting triangles and outer borders. It is a wonderful feeling to view a finished quilt!
Of course now it is time to start the next star quilt – Star Fusion by Janna Thomas. Even though the smallest size listed in the directions is twin, I wanted to make something smaller. I remembered purchasing a charm pack of oriental characters years ago, so off to hunt through my stash I went. The 9 characters in the pack are an Oriental Proverb that reads:
If we love nature as we love ourselves, the earth will become beautiful and all good things in our human lives will come to be part of the earth.
Since the charms are blue & white it was an easy decision to add black for the star points.
The Star Fusion directions also call for cutting the outer star points from a string set. I want the focus to be on the oriental characters, so I went with a single fabric outer star point. In fact the outer star points in these two blocks is leftover fabric from the Pathway Star quilt top.
At first I was concerned that the background fabric was too busy, but now I like it. I don’t recall that I have made a black/white & blue quilt top before, so this will be a first.