Posts tagged: New York Beauty

Feb 10 2017

New York Beauty

With only a bit of fussy cutting, the final border on New York Beauty went on with no problems.  I think that the additional border was the right decision and am very pleased with the final result.  It looks a bit like a tiled floor, doesn’t it?

Now that this quilt top is finished it is back to machine quilting.  I have a small wallhanging to finish this weekend along with a pillowcase for a Valentine’s Day present.

Marlene

Feb 06 2017

Design Wall Monday 02-06-17

Some projects are just fight every step of the way and the border on the New York Beauty was one such struggle.  The only way I got anything done was sheer stubbornness.  The suggestion from the directions was to make a paper piecing pattern, so I started with that.  The paper needed to be 5″ x 42″ with 28 triangles which is a difficult length to maneuver through the sewing machine.  It didn’t help that the first time I forgot to add seam allowances on the four sides until after I had sewn on three triangles.  So start again with a new and correct paper pattern.

Paper piecing on the second pattern I sewed the second triangle on upside down, ripped it out and resewed it correctly, then sewed the third triangle so that it was short of the top.  Now it was time for Plan C.  So back to the drawing board to make a plastic triangle template and individually cut out all the pieces needed for the borders.

In addition to the paper problems, I also needed to get creative since there wasn’t a lot of extra medium gray and dark gray fabric.  In fact I ended up piecing the fabric to be able to cut out three of the dark gray triangles.

Next came the battle of the cornerstones.  At first I thought that cutting one of the extra circles into fourths would be the ticket.  I like how the cornerstones make a curved corner, but the black background was too jarring.

I decided instead to extend the tan squares into the border with the same background as the triangles.

Much better!

The new cornerstones are just what was needed, but that isn’t the end of the story.  While I was sewing on the right side border, I ran out of bobbin thread.  Winding the bobbin used all the dark gray thread on the cone and there was no more dark gray thread to be found.  That’s right – a trip to Jo-Ann’s for thread was on the list of errands for today.

Right now the New York Beauty is completed – at least according to the directions.  I have a coordinating print from this fabric line that will be used as a final border.  The background is black, so I want to see if the first cornerstones will work for this border.

However I am done fighting the quilt today, so it will probably be Wednesday before I will find time to sew on the outer border.   Hope that it goes smoother than the pieced middle border did.

Check out all the other quilt inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene

Jan 30 2017

Design Wall Monday 01-30-17

Although machine quilting is taking most of my sewing time, I did manage to get the first border on New York Beauty yesterday.  I think that the borders will jazz up this quilt.

Next is a pieced middle border of triangles, then an outer border of a coordinating fabric.  I hope to start sewing them on Wednesday.

Last week I was busy machine quilting the Butterfly quilt.  It is now completed and I am stitching down the binding in the evenings.  The Butterfly quilt top was made in 2012 and is more than ready to be a finished quilt.

Today was spent machine quilting the Seahorse in Seaweed top.  Since I took this picture, I have finished the quilting and stitched the binding.  Tomorrow is Presleyday, so I think I should have some time to do handwork.

I can tell that my machine quilting is getting smoother with each top I do.  Here is a crate of quilt tops that I want to get quilted this year.  Confession time – this isn’t all the quilt tops that I have, just a nice pile to meet my goal of 25 finished quilts this year.

I am on a roll right now with the machine quilting, but it doesn’t help that I keep finding quilts on the Internet that I want to make.  However I am resisting the impulse to start a new piecing project.

Check out all the other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene

Jan 23 2017

Design Wall Monday 01-23-17

The blocks for New York Beauty is on my design wall today.  This is another top that is pieced with a Paula Nadelstern fabric line.

Here is the pattern picture.

The blocks don’t look like much now, but I am thinking (hoping) that they will perk up when the borders are added.

Yesterday I also pulled out a top for machine quilting.  The name of the pattern for this top is Seahorse in Seaweed by Elizabeth L0nnquist and finishes at 24′ x 30″.

This quilt top was made sometime before 2008, so I think that it is really time for it to become a finished quilt.  I wanted the top to be a bit bigger, so I added an inner border on the top/bottom/right side to reflect the inner border around the seahorse and then an outer border.

Now the top measures 34″ x 41″ – not huge, but still a nice size for a baby or toddler.  And the best part is that it there will be no need to piece a backing!

Check out all the other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene