Tag Archives: My Flower Garden

My Flower Garden & Smokey River

I finished the hand-quilting on My Flower Garden – isn’t it cute?

There is still a bit of lumpiness, however it isn’t that obvious when looking at it straight on.  I am very happy with this little wall-hanging, especially with all the new techniques learned.

I just realized that I didn’t post any progress pictures of Smokey River (Whirligig Designs).  Well, too late now since the quilt top was completed last weekend.  In fact this was the only thing I did last weekend.

The pattern was copyrighted in 2010, so I am guessing that this UFO dates back to 2010/2011.  It is not my oldest UFO, but definitely a goldie oldie.  I need to start thinking about quilting designs since – YEAH – it will fit on my new frame when it arrives.

That is all the quilty news from last weekend, so what have I been working on this weekend?  The second in the truck series – Market Truck – was completed today.

The truck wall-hangings are 12 1/2″ square which makes for a fast quick finish.  The applique pieces were button-holed stitched down yesterday morning while the afternoon was spent machine stitching the straight lines.  This morning the binding was completed and Market Truck was done.

While I was working on Market Truck, I was also deciding on my next piecing project.  I say piecing because I can’t say machine quilting since the new frame has not yet arrived.  Grrr

Anyway the next project is the 2021 Laundry Basket Quilt Mystery Michigan with this fat quarter bundle and background.  I am so excited to begin a new project.

Wishing you the happiness of beginnings and endings,

Marlene

Big Stitch Handquilting & a Farm Truck

I started My Flower Garden (Red Button Quilt Co -16″x19″) a couple of week ago with the plan to big stitch quilting it.

One of the interesting things about the pattern is that the embroidery, wool applique & buttons are worked through both the top and the batting – not through the backing.

Thinking that it would be easier to stitch through, I used wool batting.  It worked very well for the embroidery & applique, however not so much for the handquilting.
The buttons really transform the wall-hanging, don’t they?

This is one of the most interesting thing about this project – my subconsious fabric choices.  I just knew that the background fabric was perfect and discovered the reason while I was doing the handwork.

Do you see how the red wool flowers with button centers are reflected on the background fabric?  Also one of the red batik fabrics has rings and polka dots to continue the same theme.

On to the handquilting – I watched several You-tube tutorials on big stitch handquilting and then did my own thing.  It feels more like I am doing a running embroidery stitch than hand-quilting, but that is okay by me.

I tried using a quilting hoop, but found it to be ackward and unweilding so the hoop went into the Goodwill bin.

This is the part where I am second-guessing the use of wool batting.  To me it looks lumpy & bumpy, but that could just be because not all of the handquilting has been completed.

Right now there are no plans to handquilt a larger quilt, only small wall-hangings.  Hopefully I will have this one done during the coming week.

The Farm Truck appliqued wall-hanging (12 1/2″ x 12 1/2″) was completed as a gift to my brother. 

There are three other trucks in the series – Dump Truck, Market Truck & Fire Truck – which will be completed in the next couple of months.

Time to get back to my big stitch handquilting.

Have a good week

Marlene