Posts tagged: Mini Wolf

Jul 30 2017

Mini Wolf Wallhanging

I finished the last hand work on the Mini Wolf applique wallhanging yesterday along with the eye.

In the picture it looks like a button, but it is fabric.  The first circle I cut out was of white – white fabric for white of the eye, right?  Well it was way too bright and stark, so I knew that I needed something different.  After looking everywhere else, I finally found a strip of the background fabric in the strings bin.  Gotta love those strings!  So this fabric for the white of the eye is a circle from the lighter part of the background fabric.

Mini Wolf is the 16th finish for the year, so I am on track to complete 25 quilts for 2017.

Now it is back to the machine applique of all the petal shapes on the Honey Bee blocks.

Marlene

Jul 24 2017

Design Wall Monday 07-24-17

I have started the quilt-as-you-go stitch and flip of the Ripples quilt.  It takes around 15 minutes to get each column pinned to the quilt sandwich making sure that everything lines up and about 5 minutes to sew.  Thank goodness for knee pads!  The goal is 3 – 5 columns added a day since after I crawl around on my knees for an hour I am ready for a break.

The Bernina has been threaded with black silk thread and set up for the buttonhole stitch for the Honey Bee blocks.  This is the first block with the applique sewn down.  I like the spacing given to the quilt by the alternate block.

Since the Bernina was set up for applique, I pulled out the Mini-Wolf wallhanging and have been working on it also.

The directions for this project said to stitch down the wolf applique on a quilt sandwich as part of the machine quilting.  I did it this time, but this isn’t a technique that I will use often – if ever again.  Although it does add a bit of dimension to the wolf, I don’t care for the look of the buttonhole stitch on the back of the quilt.

In the evenings there has been some progress made on the wool applique project Pocket Full of Posies.  I am almost finished with the second cornerstone flower.

As you can see instead of green/red flying geese, I used rail fence units.  There will be a big departure from the pattern on Part 4.  I will be adding a border to the top and bottom only to make a rectangle instead of a square.  Then a small outer border, machine quilting, binding and done.  Pocket Full of Posies will look great on the hanger in my dining room.

The remaining 80 blue HST have been cut for Wild Child, but not sewn.

Next will be a decision on the neutral HST – one fabric or scrappy?  Right now I am leaning towards the idea of a single fabric, but that will be a decision for another day.

Check out all the other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene

Mar 06 2017

Design Wall Monday 03-06-17

Life interrupted and I didn’t get the quilt sandwich together as I had planned for last Friday.  So instead I made this small wallhanging (19 1/2″ x 24″).

The wolf is a laser cut fusible applique from Lisa Moore (http://quiltswithatwist.com/products/wolf).  Cutting the hand dyed fabric was a bit tricky since it was lighter along the selvedges, but I think it looks great.  I tried the black wolf on a lighter red hand dyed piece of fabric, but the overall look was washed out.  Not what I was expecting at all, but isn’t that how it goes?

Once the Mini Wolf was completed, I decided to finish the blocks and borders so that Charlotte’s Baskets was a completed top.

When I started this project as a leader/ender I planned for it to be a charity quilt.  Even when the quilt center was finished I felt the same way.  But now that the inner and outer borders are on, I have decided to hold on to this for awhile.  It may still end up a charity quilt, but not immediately.

While deciding on the border fabric, I had three goals in mind.  First was that all border fabric would come from my stash and second was that the outer border would be blue to relate to the baskets.  The third goal (and the one that I thought would be the hardest) was to somehow transition from the green sashing to the blue outer border.

Luckily I found the perfect stripe for the inner border.

It is a blue/green/white stripe from a recycled men’s shirt.  The binding is going to be the dark green sashing fabric.  The quilt top measures 50 1/4″ x 50 1/4″ – a couple of inches smaller than Bonnie’s version.  My sashing strips are cut 2″ instead of 2 1/2″ and the blue outer border is 3 1/2″ instead of 4″.

Check out all the other quilt inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene