Posts tagged: Honey Bee Quilt

Aug 07 2017

Design Wall Monday 08-07-17

The Honey Bee quilt top was finished yesterday.  I like the extra space the alternate block gives to the quilt top, but haven’t decided yet if I like the asymmetrical look that comes from the even number of rows.  When it is time to machine quilt the top, I may remove the bottom row and use it as part of the backing.  But for now this is what it is.

Now that all the machine applique is completed, I can set up the Bernina to get busy on the Lincoln quilt.  The goal is to get the top finished this year – I think I can do it if I don’t see too many squirrels.

Check out all the other quilt inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene

Jul 31 2017

Design Wall Monday 07-31-17

Look at this – it is almost time for a new quilting to-do-list.

And here is the last item on the list – one blue Wild Child block with 39 more to make.

My plan is to sew the blue HST together while I make a final decision on the neutral background blocks.  The choice is scrappy neutral or one fabric neutral.

The next and final borders on Pocket Full of Posies has been added.

Next up is adding a vine and flowers to the top and bottom borders.  There will be one flower in the center of each vine with two smaller flowers at each end.  It looks totally different than the original pattern, but I am happy with it.

This weekend I felt the need for piecing, so some progress was made on the Honey Bee quilt.

All of the 9 patches have been made and just over half of the patches have been framed.  The petals will take some time to be appliqued in place, but I like the look of every other block giving the Honey Bee blocks room to breathe.  My thoughts at the moment are no borders and binding with a colorful stripe.  We will see what happens when I need to make a final decision.

Check out all the quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene

Jul 24 2017

Design Wall Monday 07-24-17

I have started the quilt-as-you-go stitch and flip of the Ripples quilt.  It takes around 15 minutes to get each column pinned to the quilt sandwich making sure that everything lines up and about 5 minutes to sew.  Thank goodness for knee pads!  The goal is 3 – 5 columns added a day since after I crawl around on my knees for an hour I am ready for a break.

The Bernina has been threaded with black silk thread and set up for the buttonhole stitch for the Honey Bee blocks.  This is the first block with the applique sewn down.  I like the spacing given to the quilt by the alternate block.

Since the Bernina was set up for applique, I pulled out the Mini-Wolf wallhanging and have been working on it also.

The directions for this project said to stitch down the wolf applique on a quilt sandwich as part of the machine quilting.  I did it this time, but this isn’t a technique that I will use often – if ever again.  Although it does add a bit of dimension to the wolf, I don’t care for the look of the buttonhole stitch on the back of the quilt.

In the evenings there has been some progress made on the wool applique project Pocket Full of Posies.  I am almost finished with the second cornerstone flower.

As you can see instead of green/red flying geese, I used rail fence units.  There will be a big departure from the pattern on Part 4.  I will be adding a border to the top and bottom only to make a rectangle instead of a square.  Then a small outer border, machine quilting, binding and done.  Pocket Full of Posies will look great on the hanger in my dining room.

The remaining 80 blue HST have been cut for Wild Child, but not sewn.

Next will be a decision on the neutral HST – one fabric or scrappy?  Right now I am leaning towards the idea of a single fabric, but that will be a decision for another day.

Check out all the other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene

Jul 17 2017

Design Wall Monday 07-17-17

This last week has produced a small amount of progress on several projects.  All the units for each column on the Ripples quilt are sewn, there is now 280 out of 400 blue HST completed for Wild Child and three sides of Long Time Gone have been hand stitched down.

I also pieced together a couple of Honey Bee blocks just to see what they would look like.

My plan from the very beginning was to alternate the Honey Bee blocks with framed 9-patches.  I felt that the quilt top would look too crowded with only Honey Bee blocks.  Another reason for using an alternate block is that my tear drop shapes are larger than the template with the block directions.

When I first decided to someday make a Honey Bee quilt, I bought this Accuquilt die on sale.  As you can see the paper template for the applique is smaller than the die cut, but that doesn’t bother me.  The time that I will save on tracing and cutting out each piece is worth having a larger teardrop.

The blocks are 10″ finished, so the quilt top will measure 50″ x 60″ before borders – if I put borders on.  That is a decision for another day.

Hopefully this week the Long Time Gone quilt will be completed and I can start the quilt-as-you-go process on the Ripples quilt.

Check out all the other quilt inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene