Posts tagged: Good Fortune

Mar 10 2019

Good Fortune Finish

Happy Spring Forward Day – to celebrate losing an hour this weekend, I added the borders to my Good Fortune quilt yesterday.

After staring at the quilt center on my design wall for several weeks, I decided that I really wasn’t excited about sewing all the pieced borders in the Bonnie Hunter’s instructions. So off to the quilt shop I went looking for the perfect border fabric. After many “almost, but not quite right” fabrics, I found this batik for the border.

This close up shows how the batik fabric accents the green turquoise stars while also pulling in the gold from the alternate blocks.

Now that Good Fortune is a completed top, I can concentrate on blocks for Sylvia’s Bridal Sampler. The goal is to make 31 blocks this month, however right now the total is 4. The good news is that March is a long month, so hopefully it will happen.

Marlene

Jan 19 2019

Good Fortune, Part 4

Part 4 – the green turquoise chevrons – are completed. I was able to sew on these during the week, so it was easy to finish them up this morning.

For my quilt I decided to have all four chevron units in each block from the same fabric. Of course, once the decision was made I needed to make a star block to verify. And yes, I am happy with that variation for my quilt.

I still have all the green turquoise/background HSTs for one of the borders to sew, but that can wait until the center is completed. Now the blue turquoise/background HSTs need to be cut and sewn.

My goal is to have the center of Good Fortune together by the end of the month.

Marlene

Jan 10 2019

Good Fortune, Part 1 – Again

When I first started Bonnie’s mystery quilt Good Fortune, I was going to make 1/4 of the units and change three of the colors. But that plan flew out the window – now I am making all the units and changing four colors.

The first clue for Good Fortune was 4-patches of red & neutral. With the new plan the red was changed to coral/salmon, so I had to begin again.

And I had a bit of good fortune discovering that part 4 units and part 1 units combined to make one of the blocks. As I was sewing the 4-patches I was also assembling blocks.

First there were a few, but by the end of the day all these chain blocks needed for Good Fortune were completed.

Changing the orange to gold produces a bit more contrast between the 4-patches and strip sets which I like. I am looking forward to making the star blocks and see how all my color changes play together.

Marlene