Even though quilting time has been scarce these last couple of weeks, I have managed to make some progress.
The Dancing Tree wallhanging has been machine quilted & bound and is now hanging in the dining room.
Depending on your definition of UFO, this wallhanging may qualify. The pattern & fabric were matched together years ago and now in 2018 it has became a finished quilt.
However Sylvia’s Bridal Shower is a definite UFO – the note included with the fabric was dated 2014. Right now the plan is to make at least one block whenever a quilt or top is completed.
These are the three new SBS blocks:
There are now 40 (out of 140) blocks finished and 9 blocks cut out. I keep telling myself that the turtle won the race and even one block is that much closer to completion.
Happy Labor Day weekend,
On Saturday a quilt sandwich was made with Tessellating Star. This quilt top was pieced in 2008 – the layout design from a picture. So is it blue stars on a black background or black stars on a blue background?
The plan is some custom quilting with thread to match each fabric color, but what that design motif that will be I don’t know yet. I am also considering trimming down the borders a bit. That decision will need to be made before the quilting starts, however I do have a some time to think about it.
The square in a square borders were added to the top and bottom of Dancing Tree to turn the square into a rectangle. The binding will also be in the turquoise background fabric. I like how dramatic this wallhanging is with the contrast of the two fabrics and the simplicity of the design. This will be my next machine quilting project.
And of course, since I finished a project I had to start something new. Bonnie Hunter’s Diamond Tile blocks are it and they are exploding onto my design wall. I found a bright batik charm pack that was the right size for these blocks while letting me put my own spin on things. My plan is to use solid black & black on white background for the inner block border and surrounding triangles. I am making my blocks in two parts – inner uneven 9-patch and then the side triangles.
Although trimming the block to the correct size was a bit of a challenge, I like the end result. This quilt top will have a 7 x 7 layout, so it will probably be around a lap quilt size. At the moment I am planning on sashing and cornerstones, but who knows for sure if that is what will actually happen.
That is all the quilty news from my sewing room, so check out other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.
Pocket Full of Posies wall hanging is now completed – the sleeve was hand stitched down Sunday morning.
This is the first time that I have used wool batting in a quilt and it won’t be the last time. The batting is so light & puffy which accents the applique when quilted.
Of course now that one is finished it is time to start several new projects. Crazy, isn’t it?
Anyway the next one is a applique wall hanging called Dancing Trees by Caryl Bryer Fallert.
This is another oldie – the pattern and fabric have been matched together for years. I don’t know why this project has been sitting in a box, but soon it will be hanging in the dining room. Right now it is measures 18 1/2″, but I plan to put a border on the top & bottom to make a rectangle around 22″ – 24″ long.
Another item marked off my to-do list was completed in the last couple of weeks and it isn’t a quilt, but a new computer table. It took most of a Sunday afternoon to put the table together and I am very pleased with the look and the extra space.
Check out other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.