Posts tagged: Charlotte’s Baskets

Mar 06 2017

Design Wall Monday 03-06-17

Life interrupted and I didn’t get the quilt sandwich together as I had planned for last Friday.  So instead I made this small wallhanging (19 1/2″ x 24″).

The wolf is a laser cut fusible applique from Lisa Moore (http://quiltswithatwist.com/products/wolf).  Cutting the hand dyed fabric was a bit tricky since it was lighter along the selvedges, but I think it looks great.  I tried the black wolf on a lighter red hand dyed piece of fabric, but the overall look was washed out.  Not what I was expecting at all, but isn’t that how it goes?

Once the Mini Wolf was completed, I decided to finish the blocks and borders so that Charlotte’s Baskets was a completed top.

When I started this project as a leader/ender I planned for it to be a charity quilt.  Even when the quilt center was finished I felt the same way.  But now that the inner and outer borders are on, I have decided to hold on to this for awhile.  It may still end up a charity quilt, but not immediately.

While deciding on the border fabric, I had three goals in mind.  First was that all border fabric would come from my stash and second was that the outer border would be blue to relate to the baskets.  The third goal (and the one that I thought would be the hardest) was to somehow transition from the green sashing to the blue outer border.

Luckily I found the perfect stripe for the inner border.

It is a blue/green/white stripe from a recycled men’s shirt.  The binding is going to be the dark green sashing fabric.  The quilt top measures 50 1/4″ x 50 1/4″ – a couple of inches smaller than Bonnie’s version.  My sashing strips are cut 2″ instead of 2 1/2″ and the blue outer border is 3 1/2″ instead of 4″.

Check out all the other quilt inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene

Feb 13 2017

Design Wall Monday 02-13-17

It was a productive weekend and I got several small projects completed.  First was the quilting and binding of the small wallhanging Lakeside Retreat (19″ x 17 1/2″).  This is a Cynthia England kit that was pieced before 2008 (in 2008 I started numbering and keeping a spreadsheet of my quilt tops).

After making this wallhanging, I really have an appreciation for the amount of time and skill Cynthia puts into her larger quilts.  It was a good experience for me to make this quilt, however I don’t plan on doing another.

I also made two pillowcases using My Little Ponies fabric that I found on the clearance rack.

Won’t they make a great gift to one of my granddaughters?

So now to my design wall – I haven’t posted a picture recently of Charlotte’s Baskets, so here it is.

Since this is my leader/ender project the progress is of the slow and steady kind.  I cut out the pieces for the reaming seven baskets over the weekend and am looking forward to more completed blocks.

I also have another top to be machine quilted this week along with a setting triangle for the Lincoln quilt.

Check out all the other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene

Dec 08 2016

Baskets, Strings and Handwork

It seemed like a good time for an update of my in-process projects.  The baskets for Charlotte’s Baskets are my current leader/ender project.  The quilt top has 16 basket blocks and the first row of 4 is completed.

120816-1024x338

It is so nice to have the string triangles already done and just waiting to be sewn on the block.  And speaking of strings, I am officially finished with them – for now.

120816a-1024x683

Can you see how empty the string bin is?  It was getting harder and harder to get the lid on before I started all these blocks, but now the bin is 1/3 full.  I used the shortest pieces to sew on a 2 1/2″ paper.  These strips probably will become a scrappy border for a future quilt top.

The first handwork project is a cute wallhanging from Primitive Gatherings called Winter Diamonds.

120816b-1024x683

The diamonds in the background are EPP and after the top is together a small wool snowman is stitched in the lower right corner.  Of course I decided to do something different.  The diamonds in the pattern are arranged in a random matter and I wanted mine to go from light in the center to dark edges.  All the diamonds are stitched to the paper so that I could see if this plan would work – so far so good.  I am hoping to get this done by the end of the year.

The second handwork project is the cross stitch of Stonehenge.  I have made some good progress on it although Winter Diamonds demanded my attention for the last several days.

120816c1024x683

The stones are going to take awhile since it is stitch 5, change thread, stitch 7, change thread – you get the idea.  I really like this project and it is going to look wonderful once it is done.

I was able to make some progress on the Rocky Mountain Bear Claw today, but I don’t have a picture.  The goal is to have four of the blocks together by this weekend, so that I have something to show.

Marlene