The Butterflies Fly With Me quilt top was made in 2018.
While I was piecing this project, I had the idea to make a wall-hanging to coordinate with it. However as my brother always tells me “Anyone can have an idea, but the person who does something with that idea is the one who can claim credit”. I can tell you right now that I am claiming credit for my idea since the wall-hanging is in process.
My plan was to have the same layout, but make the butterflies out of hexagons. What do you think? Aren’t they so darn cute?
The hexies are 1/2″ per side with the butterly measuring 5 3/4″ x 4″. The final butterfly is in almost done, so this week I will locate the scraps from the original quilt. Hopefully by next weekend I will have a finished wall-hanging top.
What is on your to-do list for this week?
Progress was made on the Butterflies quilt top – antennas were added,
the final two butterflies were pieced,
and the column was sewn together.
Now it was time for more decisions – what fabrics would be used for the strips and where would they go?
It took an hour or so to get the strips organized, but I told myself not to “overthink” it. I realized that my strip selection needed a some purple fabrics. A shopping trip through my stash produced two fabrics to add to the rest. On Saturday morning bright and early I started sewing the strips together. By lunchtime the center of the quilt was completed.
All that was left was the inner & outer border which was finished on Sunday.
The color choices in this quilt top is definitely a departure from the usual. I think that the variety of scale and patterns add a lot of interest to the quilt.
Also this quilt top is a rare occurrence – the vision in my head is exactly what is seen on the design wall. Yeah!
The Diamond Tiles have been grumbling at me for setting them – momentarily – aside, so they are my next project. Since there are only 42 blocks to make, it should go fairly quickly.
Check out all the other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.
PS The quilt top measures 66″ x 84″.
Diamond Tiles has been set aside while Butterflies Fly with Me is consuming all my attention. The name of the quilt is a combination of the names of the two quilt patterns used – Come Fly with Me by Creative Sewlutions and Butterflies by The Buggy Barn.
My vision of this quilt is to insert a strip of five Butterflies where the flying geese are in the pattern. The color palette is pink, purple and turquoise.
The first three butterflies were pieced together on Wednesday and hopefully the final two will be completed this weekend.
The wings and bodies of the butterflies are Fairy Frost fabric which give a nice subtle glimmer. My butterflies use the same fabric background in all five which is not the regular Buggy Barn way. I also reversed the pattern so the next two butterflies will be flying up & to the right instead of up & to the left.
Here are some of the strips for the Come Fly with Me portion of the quilt.
There is four more pieces of fabric that need to be cut into strips before I can start arranging them. The striped fabric on the left will be an inner border and the flower fabric on the right will be the outer border.
I had the idea for combing these two patterns several years ago and – so far – it is looking like my vision. July is a crazy busy month with family activities, but this top is an easy sew and – hopefully – will be completed soon.