Yeah! – two more finished quilts. The Batik Sampler is a birthday gift and the Autumn Card Tricks is a charity quilt.
Isn’t it fun to look back at earlier quilts and see how far you have progressed in the quilting craft? If I was making the Autumn Card Tricks today, I would use smaller blocks, explore different settings and maybe add a pieced border. However every journey has a starting point and this quilt is part of my beginning.
Yeah – another finish! I am averaging one quilt finish a week with the new quilting machine and love it. This quilt top (50″ x 50″) is wider than my frame, so my plan was to use a pantograph in the center of the quilt, then free motion quilt the inner & outer border. This plan mostly worked – the biggest issue was stopping the pantograph before stitching into the inner border. I will need to give this some more thought before trying it again.
The next quilt top on the machine was Autumn Card Tricks. Several years ago I had purchased the Top Anchor Baptist Fans ruler, but never had the courage to attempt it with the sit-down machine. Now that I had a quilting machine on a frame it was time to give it a try.
For the most part I was happy with the fans and I knew the more I used the ruler the better they would look. However that came to an abrupt end Friday evening.
As you can see, the ruler broke. I was finishing the third row when this happened, so everything came to a standstill while I reevaluated my options.
It was a clean break, so the two ends could be glued back together to finish the quilt or I could take out the Baptist Fans stitching and redo with a new quilting motif. I decided on the second option since I did not trust the ruler would perform properly until the quilt top was finished.
Now that Autumn Card Tricks is in the “unsewing” stage, I will need to decide which quilt top will be loaded on the frame next.
It looks better than I expected, especially with all the fullness in the quilt top. Below is proof of the tucks and pleats, however I think that the curvy quilt motif along with washing & blocking the quilt help disguise them.
The pantograph used is Caliente by Urban Elementz which can be found as a free self-print design on their website.
While hand-stitching the binding on Spiral Lone Star, Charlotte’s Baskets was loaded and machine quilted. Since it is larger than my frame, I tried something different. I used a pantograph in the center of the quilt, free motion quilted a design in the inner border and quilted straight lines on the outer border. Right now the binding is being machine sewn on before the hand-stitching starts.
And of course, the next quilt top has been selected and the winner is –
Autumn Card Tricks (pattern by Eleanor Burns and pieced between 2002 – 2007). I plan to quilt Baptist Fans with a gold thread on this top. It feels great to get some quilt finishes at the end of the year.