Posts tagged: African Hexagons

Sep 23 2018

Sunday Update

Even though work is crazy, I have been able to find some time here and there to get a few more Sylvia’s Bridal Shower blocks completed.  Many thanks and much gratitude to my oldest daughter for setting up the SBS grid and adding blocks as finished.  Love you, R

A-4

A-10

E-4

K-4

My Sylvia’s Bridal Sampler is going to be set 12 x 12 for a total of 144 blocks.  There are 140 blocks in the pattern, so I decided to add four chain blocks to the four corners.  Here is the first one –

Right now the plan is to use the dark green and dark red fabrics as the cornerstones alternating colors.  When the remaining three blocks are completed for row A, the sashing and cornerstones row will be completed to verify that this plan will work.

Since SBS blocks are made when a project is completed I bet you are wondering what project was finished.

Here it is – an oldie.  African Hexagons is now a finished quilt.

My best guess is that this quilt top was pieced somewhere in the 2005 – 2007 time frame.  In 2008 I started numbering my quilt tops and the African Hexagons top was made somewhere before that.

It is quilted with a boxy meander using WonderFil InvisaFil thread on my HQ Sweet Sixteen.  I have never been able to get the tension correct with monofilament thread on the HQ, so it was very exciting that the only adjustment that the InvisaFil thread needed was a slightly looser top tension.

What a great feeling  to have an older quilt top finished and African Hexagons has already has a new home – win, win.

Marlene