May 23 2012

A sad tale, but (hopefully) a happy ending

I haven’t written anything recently regarding the Modern Underwater Bargello quilt top.  There is a good reason for this – I ran into issues – two of them.   It makes me think of the Cat in the Hat with Thing 1 and Thing 2.  Thing 1 is the incorrect cutting of two of the blocks.  Thing 2 is running out of the background fabric.

Well, see for yourself.

Aargh!

There are a couple of solutions to each of these issues.  Thing 1:  the two blocks cut too small can be disguised with wider background strips or I could cut new blocks from a different (lighter) blue fabric. But I really like this darker blue fabric.

Thing 2:  the instructions said 2 yards of background fabric, but I think that was a typo and it should be 3 yards.  I didn’t have enough fabric to finish the last column or add the top and bottom borders.

Since I used this same fabric for the border of a community quilt top, I can take the border off and see if there is enough fabric to finish this project.  But the border is 4 1/2″ wide, so it could take some creative sewing.

Either way, this project and these decisions are going on hold.  Modern Underwater Bargello is coming off the design wall to make way for the Hunter Star quilt which I will be starting this weekend.

I really like this quilt top – the design and the colors – so I will be back to finish it soon.  In fact I think that I have enough reds, yellows and oranges to make a Modern Sunburst Bargello quilt.

Marlene

Leave a Reply