Happy Quilty Dance

A quilt top was completed yesterday that exceeded my mental vision for it – yeah, happy quilty dance!  This doesn’t happen often, so it is always celebrated with a quilty dance.

Oh no – I just discovered that I have not posted any pictures of this quilt on my blog even though this project was started in January 2020.  How did that happen?

So to start at the beginning – when I finished the Hope Chest Star wall-hanging below, I knew that I wanted to make my version of the Hope Chest quilt.

The Hope Chest pattern is from Edyta Sitar’s book Patches of Scraps as shown below.

I wanted a smaller version, so I went with a 9-patch quilt layout.  The star colors were determined by the fabric I could find that was black + a color.  The first star color was green, followed by orange and turquoise.  The black + color was used for the triangles and to frame the block.

The orange star is one of my favorite stars -the black cat background makes me smile every time I look at it.

I needed to decide on a center block.  Plan A was for the center to be a Trip Around the World block made with 2″ finished squares.  The framed star blocks are 18″, so finished 2″ squares made the math easy.  However the more star blocks that were completed, the more dissatisfied I became with the center block.  It was too clunky and just didn’t want to play well with others.  To to decide on Plan B once the remaining star blocks were finished.

Each block took over a day to piece which is one reason that this was a 2020 on-going project, but to be honest is was more off- than on-going.  I wanted this completed before the end of the year, so I pushed myself to finish the remaining stars – silver, yellow and pink.

Is this an elegant star block?  During all the piecing time, I was considering the question – what to do with the center square?  Finally I decided to remake the Trip Around the World block with 1″ finished squares and every other row a background fabric.

To get the TATW block to the correct size, I added 1/2″ finished framing strips.  Perfect!

The same background fabric used on the center square was used for the inner border and the outer border was in my stash.  The actual quilt top is much more vibrant than what the picture shows.

The finished quilt is 68″ square, completed and I am so pleased with the final results.  Happy quilty dance!

Wishing you your own happy quilty dance this week,

Marlene

2 thoughts on “Happy Quilty Dance

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.