Today is actually more of a Design Table Monday and a Design Lap Monday. On the table is the new leader/ender project Wild Child by Bonnie Hunter in String Fling.
Wild Child was started last fall during my big string busting phase and all the middle blocks were sewn then. Next up are the 800 HST – 400 blue/scraps and 400 neutral/scraps. I have the Accuquilt die for the triangles which has made the sewing of the HST quick and easy. The little bin has 200 of the blue/scrap HST, so I am half done with that color combination.
Bonnie used a turquoise fabric for her quilt, but while shopping my stash I found this sky blue fabric for my quilt along with the red with blue flowers for the border.
I haven’t made any progress on it last week because I was busy machine quilting the Gray & Purple Hexagon quilt. This top was made in 2011 and has been hanging around my sewing room as a quilt sandwich for over a year. I just couldn’t decide anything to get started with it – what color thread to use? an overall quilting design? custom design? if so, which one and where?
Since I was so overwhelmed with all the decisions to be made, I did nothing. I think that this overload of decisions is why a project becomes an UFO. Anyway, last week I realized that I didn’t need to make all the decisions at once – I just needed to make the first decision. So the first thing I did was stitch in the ditch with monofilament thread inside and outside of the inner border. Once that was done the second decision was easier, I stitched around the hexagons.
Just like so many other things, once I got started the rest of the decisions became easier. I found a stencil for the middle of the hexagon and continued with the monofilament thread.
I have tried many different marking methods for stencils, but using chalk and a sponge brush works the best for me. It is faster than following the lines with chalk or water soluble pen and easily seen on both the lighter and darker sides of the hexagons.
Most of the chalk comes off with the vibration of the sewing machine and the rest will be removed when the quilt is washed. The Gray & Purple Hexagon quilt is small (39″ x 49″) because it was made with leftover fabrics from a kit named Ruby in the Sky so there weren’t that many hexagons to mark.
Once all the hexagons were quilted, I just needed to find a border motif. Angela Walter’s book Free-Motion Quilting came to the rescue and I used her Scroll Swirl design. Wow – I am almost done with decisions and this is almost a finished quilt. The last two decisions were for the binding and sleeve fabric. Since I had made the quilt with leftover fabrics, I had none of the original fabric for the binding. Stash to the rescue! I found a violet batik for the binding and a dark gray for the sleeve.
The handwork should be finished in the next couple of days, so then I will have a finished quilt to show off. I just need to remember that not all quilts need all the decisions to be made before you start, sometimes all you need is the decision to start.
Check out all the other quilt inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.