All my plans for yesterday were derailed by this cutie.
She helped me unload the dishwasher, but she is too mobile & too curious to play in the sewing room. I did however find enough time to finish the embroidery for a Sunflower quilt. Next to it is the sunflower fabric for the border.
I had the idea for this wallhanging years ago and this is the year to get it done. The biggest problem that I had with starting this quilt was the background – none of the yellow fabric I had were right. In a light bulb moment I realized that a solid fabric would be better for the background than a batik. I decided on this Moda solid named – of course – sunflower. It blends better than it looks in the picture.
The machine quilting on the Scrappy Trapunto was a disaster on Saturday. I thought that it would work better to use the BSR foot on my Bernina, but it would stitch a couple of inches then not pick up the bottom thread. What I realized after rethreading my machine and changing the needle was that the laser on the bottom of the BSR foot had trouble with the higher trapunto side of the design, so Saturday night was spent picking out stitches. Sunday I moved to my Handi-quilter and that solved the problem.
I wanted just a slight puff for the trapunto and am very happy with the results. This is definitely a technique that I will use again. It is also great practice for using a ruler with a sit-down machine.
The plan is to finish the machine quilting this week. The center is slow going, but the rest of the quilt will be faster.