Mar 16 2016

Loco-Motion Quilt Top

The last week has been crazy.  Last Thursday I babysat three grandchildren and Friday I watched a different four grandchildren.  It is lots of fun and I treasure the time spent with them, but I spent most of Saturday recuperating.  However for the last three days I have made good progress on my sewing projects.

So, here is the reason that making quilts with recycled shirts was on my to-do list for March.

031516  (1024x683)

What a mess!  I have been trying to decide if I want to dedicate a bin to the shirts or mix them in with my regular stash.  Right now I am leaning toward mixing them in, but I will make a final decision later.

After making a couple of the Nifty Thrifty blocks, I decided to make the Loc0-Motion quilt top first.  It measures 36 1/2″ x 48 1/2″, so it was a quick finish.

031516A  (779x1024)

I am very pleased with the finished top.  My plan was to use parts of the shirts in the 3″ and 6″ blocks.  All except two of the 6″ blocks are shirt pockets

031516C   (683x1024)and some of the 3″ blocks are embroidery or labels/tags from the shirts.

031516B   (683x1024)

I need to machine stitch the applique and then the top will be completed.  The machine quilting will be interesting since I won’t want to stitch the pockets closed.

The goal is to machine quilt & bind the Flags #2 quilt, stitch down the applique on the Loco-Motion quilt & make the purple Lincoln block – all finished by Sunday night.  I had better get busy.

Marlene

Leave a Reply