On Saturday I started piecing on the first of the star quilts – Pretty in Pink – although I need a new name for my quilt since there is not a single piece of pink in it. Maybe Pretty Bright or Pretty Scrappy.
This is the first pattern I have made from Marci Baker’s book Oh My Stars and I do have to say that I am not impressed. The instructions call for sewing strip sets and then cutting units on a 60 degree angle. I prefer methods that are a more efficient use of the fabric instead of these huge chunks leftover at the beginning and end of the strip set. Although I just realized that I could have off set the strips so that there wasn’t as much waste.
Also to be fair, these stars are large – the diamonds are 4″ per side. A quilt with smaller stars would probably not have had so much left over in the strip.
What I did do however was measure the size of the triangles & diamonds, then cut them out individually. This method did allow me to have a wider variety of fabric colors in the quilt.
The quilt is sewn into columns, then the columns sewn together. I have 7 of the 13 columns together, so I am half way done. The top and bottom of the quilt will be cut off to make it a rectangle.
I am very pleased with the background gray fabric that I found for the background. This is going to make a great baby quilt.
Check out all the other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.