Category: 2018 Finishes

Sep 30 2018

Theo’s Blocks

Just under the wire for a September finish, Theo’s Blocks is completed.

I used medium gray thread, a loopy quilting design, and a scrappy binding to complete this quilt.  This is 5th quilt finish for 2018 which is pretty pathetic – I had better get busy machine quilting the last three months of the year.

Marlene

Sep 23 2018

Sunday Update

Even though work is crazy, I have been able to find some time here and there to get a few more Sylvia’s Bridal Shower blocks completed.  Many thanks and much gratitude to my oldest daughter for setting up the SBS grid and adding blocks as finished.  Love you, R

A-4

A-10

E-4

K-4

My Sylvia’s Bridal Sampler is going to be set 12 x 12 for a total of 144 blocks.  There are 140 blocks in the pattern, so I decided to add four chain blocks to the four corners.  Here is the first one –

Right now the plan is to use the dark green and dark red fabrics as the cornerstones alternating colors.  When the remaining three blocks are completed for row A, the sashing and cornerstones row will be completed to verify that this plan will work.

Since SBS blocks are made when a project is completed I bet you are wondering what project was finished.

Here it is – an oldie.  African Hexagons is now a finished quilt.

My best guess is that this quilt top was pieced somewhere in the 2005 – 2007 time frame.  In 2008 I started numbering my quilt tops and the African Hexagons top was made somewhere before that.

It is quilted with a boxy meander using WonderFil InvisaFil thread on my HQ Sweet Sixteen.  I have never been able to get the tension correct with monofilament thread on the HQ, so it was very exciting that the only adjustment that the InvisaFil thread needed was a slightly looser top tension.

What a great feeling  to have an older quilt top finished and African Hexagons has already has a new home – win, win.

Marlene

Sep 02 2018

Happy Labor Day Weekend

Even though quilting time has been scarce these last couple of weeks, I have managed to make some progress.

The Dancing Tree wallhanging has been machine quilted & bound and is now hanging in the dining room.

Depending on your definition of UFO, this wallhanging may qualify.  The pattern & fabric were matched together years ago and now in 2018 it has became a finished quilt.

However Sylvia’s Bridal Shower is a definite UFO – the note included with the fabric was dated 2014.  Right now the plan is to make at least one block whenever a quilt or top is completed.

These are the three new SBS blocks:

K-8

C-9

B-5

There are now 40 (out of 140) blocks finished and 9 blocks cut out.  I keep telling myself that the turtle won the race and even one block is that much closer to completion.

Happy Labor Day weekend,

Marlene

May 12 2018

Ruby in the Sky

My quilting time for the last two weeks has been hit-n-miss with an emphasis on the miss.  However I did manage to get the binding completed on Ruby in the Sky.

It is all squares and rectangles, but the fun is in the fabric.  Using a medium gray thread, I machine quilted free form Baptist fans on the quilt.  The finished size is 61″ x 81″ – a nice size for a large throw.

Ruby in the Sky has been patiently waiting since 2011 to become a finished quilt and I am very pleased with the final result.

Marlene

Jan 10 2018

First Finish of 2018 – Serendipity

This was supposed to be finish #23 for 2017, but ended up being finish #1 of 2018.  The pattern is Serendipity from M’Liss Rae Hawley’s book Phenomenal Fat Quarter Quilts.  I sewed this quilt top over 10 years ago, so it feels great to finally have a completed quilt.

I had a difficult time deciding on the quilting motif, but finally decided on a stencil for the middle section.

It isn’t always easy to get a good picture of the machine quilting.  I picked this stencil because the swirls reminded me of the coffee steam swirls in the setting triangle fabric.

The border fabric was cut on the bias so that the squares in the fabric were on-point to match the rail fence blocks in the center.  To stabilize the edges an 1 1/2″ outer border was added.  It is interesting when design decisions are dictated by practical concerns.

There are seven more quilt tops on the “before 2008” list – I wonder which one will be machine quilted this year.

Marlene

Jan 08 2018

Design Wall Monday 01-08-18

My design wall looks a bit messy this week.

I have the blocks for Bouillabaisse in various stages of completion.  In the top upper left is the first finished block,

the middle are blocks with some of the corner triangles attached and at the bottom are the center of the blocks.  I should be making the last two smaller blocks, but instead I have been having fun with the setting triangles.  On the right is the border fabric – I think that it will lighten everything up and keep the quilt from looking too dark.

The original pattern used a wider range of colors, but I like the look of a more controlled color palette.  In the setting triangles I also selected my fabric to range from lighter to darker to give more contrast between the blocks.

And look what I received in the mail on Friday –

Thank you Judy at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts for the wonderful giveaway and for hosting Design Wall Mondays.  I rarely win drawings or prizes, so this was such a surprise.  Several projects in the magazine have already drawn my attention along with the pillow.

Check out all the other quilting inspiration at Judy’s Design Wall Monday.

Marlene