I started My Flower Garden (Red Button Quilt Co -16″x19″) a couple of week ago with the plan to big stitch quilting it.
One of the interesting things about the pattern is that the embroidery, wool applique & buttons are worked through both the top and the batting – not through the backing.
Thinking that it would be easier to stitch through, I used wool batting. It worked very well for the embroidery & applique, however not so much for the handquilting.
The buttons really transform the wall-hanging, don’t they?
This is one of the most interesting thing about this project – my subconsious fabric choices. I just knew that the background fabric was perfect and discovered the reason while I was doing the handwork.
Do you see how the red wool flowers with button centers are reflected on the background fabric? Also one of the red batik fabrics has rings and polka dots to continue the same theme.
On to the handquilting – I watched several You-tube tutorials on big stitch handquilting and then did my own thing. It feels more like I am doing a running embroidery stitch than hand-quilting, but that is okay by me.
I tried using a quilting hoop, but found it to be ackward and unweilding so the hoop went into the Goodwill bin.
This is the part where I am second-guessing the use of wool batting. To me it looks lumpy & bumpy, but that could just be because not all of the handquilting has been completed.
Right now there are no plans to handquilt a larger quilt, only small wall-hangings. Hopefully I will have this one done during the coming week.
The Farm Truck appliqued wall-hanging (12 1/2″ x 12 1/2″) was completed as a gift to my brother.
There are three other trucks in the series – Dump Truck, Market Truck & Fire Truck – which will be completed in the next couple of months.
Time to get back to my big stitch handquilting.
Have a good week